Yikes! E-mail harvesting possibility?

curry curry at pair.com
Fri Jun 6 01:52:01 EDT 2003

I was reading the list archive on the runrev web page, and noticed
that while most addresses are stripped from the main listing and from
primary posts (as long as there is a name with the e-mail) BUT in
replies, if e-mail address was inserted in the he-said line prefacing
a quote, it's revealed in the archive! Same thing for anyone that put
an e-mail down in their sig line.

Is there anything that can be done about this? I've been careful
guarding this address from spam, and didn't realize there was a hole
in this list's archive. I hope it can be adjusted as soon as
possible!-??? I would be all for taking down the archive while
adjusting!

Either the archive needs to strip out anything that looks like e-mail
from the message body, or have the archive pages access protected by
password.

(Of course, it would be a good idea for people to edit the other
person's e-mail address out of the he-said line anyway, but that
won't do for ensuring protection for the archive, because it will
happen sometimes if that's the way the e-mail apps or web mail
defaults for the quoting, and it's already happened.)

(I think spam can be cut down by guarding, I'm even planning to
javascript any e-mail links on my web page from now on.)

Thanks,

Curry