janschenkel at yahoo.com

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 00:04:02 EDT 2003

--- Tuviah M Snyder <diskot123 at juno.com> wrote:
> >- The basics : connecting to databases, defining
> >queries, how to hook up controls to a query
> >- Intermediate : a step-by-step guide to a
> >master-detail form, thereby touching dynamic
> queries
> >- Advanced : updating with a click on an OK button
> >instead of after a closeField, using revdb
> functions
> >directly, and how to learn more about the
> undocumented
> >features in the revDatabase script
>
> Well like most developers I hate writing
> documentation (I mean, who would
> ever need more than the syntax and a two line
> explanation:-), but I'll be
> happy to proofread and answer questions on any
> relevant chapters.
>
> Tuviah Snyder

Thanks Tuviah, that would be greatly appreciated ; I
will have one of my colleagues go through it as well ;
he's not a RunRev user and doesn't even program, but
he has splendid ideas for making things more readable.
Mind you, writing docs isn't my favourite pastime
either -- especially not when I had to update the
help-file of a legacy app for 4 years worth of changes
earlier this year because I'm the only one of 3 people
left who know the bloody thing inside out.

Oh, before I forget ; I'm sure you or Mark have bumped
into it when you corrected what I reported earlier,
but I have found a typo which can cause problems :

function revRecordCountOfQuery pObject
  put revQueryLongName(pObject) into pObject
  put revCursorOfQuery(pObject) into cursorid into
cursorid
  if cursorid is empty then return empty
  if cursorid is "cached" then
    put the cRevDatabaseQuery["recordcount"] of
pObject into tResult
  else put revdb_recordcount(cursorid) into tResult
  return tResult
end revRecordCountOfQuery

As you can see, the second line contains "into
cursorid" twice which effectively stops my
master-detail form sample stack from working properly
-- yes, it's ready, but requires the application of a
few patches to the revDatabase script, and not only
when you use mySQL, so I'm holding it back atm.
At first I thought I had done something wrong when I
copied the revDatabase script into the card script for
debugging, but I checked an untampered copy and it had
the same problem. Maybe the changes can be squeezed
into 2.0r3 along with the cREVGeneral fix ?

Jan Schenkel.

=====