documentation - full text search useful?

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Mon Jun 2 15:36:02 EDT 2003

On  Mon, 2 Jun 2003  "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jeanne at runrev.com> wrote:

> At 1:49PM -0700 6/1/03, Wilhelm Sanke wrote:
>
> >Have a look at the stack "Topsearch" stack under "user contributions" on
> >the Revolution site. "Topsearch" has an extra button that allows a quick
> >search for any string in all the cards of the Transcript Dictionary
>

> It sounds very useful. (But just so you know, this functionality is already
> present on the Transcript Dictionary card in the main docs window, by
> choosing "Search for" in the popup menu on the left...)
>
> --
> Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
> Runtime Revolution Limited - Software at the Speed of Thought
> http://www.runrev.com/

Thanks for the information. I see this is an addition and an improvement
to the latest version of Revolution I had overlooked so far.  Although
somewhat hidden in the menu button, once you know, you know it.

The "search Transcript Dictionary" button that had been added to my
"Topsearch" stack as an extra feature before the latest release of
Revolution is now indeed somehow obsolete.
There are maybe unimportant differences in the features of "Topsearch"
compared with the new "search" function of the Dictionary:

found lines, fields, and cards are counted (who would need that)
and the text of the found lines is instantly displayed with the colored
searchstring.
The new version of "Topsearch" - due this week - will have an extra
field where the whole text of a found field can be displayed - again
with the searchstring colorized - which makes locating the terms looked
for easier.

The feature to go to  the card of the Transcript Dictionary that
contains at least one instance of the searchstring is identical both in
the new search function and the "Topsearch" stack.

The "Topsearch" tool was intended to support text searches in visible
and hidden fields of any stack, not primarily for the Transcript
Dictionary, but I am now considering whether to add features that enable
searches in the whole of the Revolution documentation (or do we already
have that, too?).-

I see that the "on searchFulltext" handler of the "Transcript" card of
the "revdocs" stack has some similarities to my own search routine,
which consoles  me that my own scripting experiments are not too far off
the mark.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke