Active X support

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sun Jun 1 16:30:01 EDT 2003

Hi Richard,

> There has been much debate in this thread, including presumption
> of what the
> folks at RunRev would feel or should feel is important.  But please note
> that the RunRev folks have not spoken for themselves on this yet
> one way or
> another.  We could continue this conjecture, or we could pursue results:

I'm hoping this debate helps all of us to better understand issues. If it
ends up name-calling, then we won't succeed, but so far, it seems to be
fairly professional (except for the kill Applescript post;-)

Certainly RR and MC haven't weighed in, but many times this area provides a
forum for change in both the IDE and the engine.

> The use-rev list is primarily for user-to-user assistance.
> Feature requests
> are normally channelled through the improve-rev list.  As with any other
> feature request, just propose a spec for how you would like to access
> ActiveX components to that list and watch what happens....
>
> The spec proposal is an important ingredient of a useful feature request.
> It may or may not be implemented as initially proposed, but the ensuing
> discussion will refine things for the greatest benefit for the greatest
> number of users.

Good point about proposing a spec. But, Edwin is right -- he can't post to
that list. So, this is the only forum available to him.

> With an ActiveX proposal, one of the core issues will affect many of us:
> assigning data types.  This is not a trivial issue in a typeless
> 4GL, so it
> will take some thought (although ToolBook's sybtax provides a useful
> starting point).

Sounds like you've alredy given this some thought;-)

best,

Chipp