Visual Effects working strangely

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Thu Jul 31 14:42:38 EDT 2003

I'm not ready to report this as a bug because I may be doing something
wrong. Consider these few lines of code contained within an image image
object referencing a gif:

on mouseUp
	global theEffect -- holds the name of the effect we want
	hide me with visual theEffect
	wait 1 second
	show me
end mouseUp

I have a number of buttons whose labels are "wipe left", "wipe up",
"wipe down", and the other effects that Rev contains. Here's an example:

on mouseUp
   global theEffect
   put the label of me into theEffect
end mouseUp

This should place the name of the effect into the var theEffect.

So what happens when all this runs? The first button I click on sets
the effect but the effect does -not- change to anything else when I
click on a different button. In other words: If I click on the "wipe
left" button and then click the image object, I do get the proper
effect. However, when I click on any other button, the effect does not
change unless I close (& remove from memory) and then re-open the
stack. Even then, the reults seem to be inconsistent.

I've tried clearing the var in each button script:

on mouseUp
   global theEffect
   put empty into theEffect
   put the label of me into theEffect
end mouseUp

but this has no effect. Sorry, didn't mean to pun.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Barry