Multithread/Background function execution in Rev?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Jul 29 14:21:01 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 12:39 PM, nfeasey at utpress.utoronto.ca
wrote:

> Is there a way to fire off my little fade in/out function (or any
> function/message for that matter) in a separate event, process, thread
> (not sure of terminology in Revolution) in which this animation
> message proceeds but the user is still able to perform their data
> entry task without interruption.

Yes.

Look at 'send' and its friends 'cancel' and 'pendingMessages'.

Design your whole application around quick handlers for mouse and key
events.  Add your own, as messages, using 'send ... in ...'.  These can
be integrated with Revolution callbacks as well as your own.

I am making progress on a primer called _A Primer on Message Machinery_
that explains all this, but I've been saying that for a while.  I've
completed the primary examples, so it may come soon.

Dar Scott

****
   Dar Scott Consulting    http://www.swcp.com/dsc/    Programming
Services