Question on .rev file format

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Tue Jul 29 14:05:01 EDT 2003

I am new to Revolution but 20+ years in software development and
management, Windows, Unix/Linux mostly, not much Mac experience.

I am a big fan of VHLLs, but one thing I notice that bothers me about
Revolution is the binary (proprietary?) format of the .rev files.  I
tried changing one byte of these files with a hex editor and the IDE
refuses to load it.  This makes corruption quite easy and a good way to
lose a lot of work.  Also (maybe more importantly) version control (CVS)
is not very useful on binary files.

Is anyone else troubled by this and are there any solutions, ie, ways to
dump the stack in text (completely and reversibly), or corrupted file
recovery tools?

Thanks for any assistance or ideas.

-Steve