Revolution 2.02 is a $200 beta?

WIlliam Griffin bill at igame3d.com
Wed Jul 23 16:37:01 EDT 2003

This application is seriously flawed.
Revolution 2.0.2
First the problem from before.
> From: WIlliam Griffin <bill at igame3d.com>
>
> Typing a command and hitting return in Message box results in no
> action.
> Whats the deal?
>
> Response on list>
> Hi Bill,
>
> There are two types of message boxes : a 1-line
> message box and a multiple-line message box.
> You can toggle by clicking the two left-most buttons
> in the toolbar of the Message box window.
>
> If you are on the one-line message box, and you typed
> a command and hit return, and no error appears below,
> then it must have worked, but maybe there was no
> visible result.
> What command were you trying ?

No errors, and no response no matter what.
lets see some commands that will not work.
open stack "Array"
open stack "3D Scene"
set style of stack "Console" to document
set visible of cd fld "selectedcolor" of stack "T3D Edit" to false

No results from anything in here.
> --__--__--
>
> Message: 7
> From: "Edwin Gore" <edgore at shinra.com>
>
> Actually, I am having what sounds like the same problem with the
> message box, and have been avoiding it but putting things into
> temporary button scripts.
> For example, I create a new stack, create a button, then type "hide
> button 1" into the msg box, and hit return.
> The button doesn't hide, the command I typed remains in the message
> box, with the insertion point blinking at the end of the command, and
> the results section remains unchanged.
>
> This is in Rev 2.01, under Windows XP Home.

So this problem is happening in 2.01 and 2.02 on Mac and Windows.

Moving on. the license I bought clearly stated development of
applications was available for "All supported platforms " Yet all
supported platforms are greyed out in the Distribution Builder.
Everything but Mac OS X. Whats the story with this?

When I want to build an application, I have to close my stack, and all
the revolution stacks that revolution likes to throw in my face all
day, then I get an unexpected quit in the process. Thank god for the
trial version of Metacard, it still works, perfectly, instaneously, and
without closing my stack.

Also in the distribution builder, the buttons at the bottom of the
stack are covered by the window,I can only see about 6 pixels of each
of them.  I saw the same problem in the old trial version too. If the
message box worked, maybe, just maybe, I could fix it myself.

More Problems. Selecting a group and hitting Command R to edit the
group only works 10% of the time, if even. I don't have anything in my
application that should interfere with this command key thing. It
doesn't matter what group is selected, the command key works by poor
random chance.

And more: the  error dialogue stack shows up UNDER my project windows
and palettes, like all these damned Revolution windows do. So I go from
editing to having  ZERO mouse control over the project, there are
windows I can't move, buttons I can't press, until I go digging for the
error window, and I can't do that if I can't move my own windows!!!
Even when I finally get access to the error window, it tends to be
unresponsive to clicks and I have no idea what this program is doing.

more thing: The find/replace option in the scripts, is dumb, simpletext
has more sense.
It doesn't understand the context of a full word, example:
find currentColor replace with viewColor
changes all words that contain "current" whether they contain Color or
not.
So instead of saving time with a replace all, excessive time is lost
fixing scripts.

I really wish I'd used this app more extensively before paying for it.
With Metacard trial, i got 180% more work done learning the application
in the same time as I've spent with just one little thing working with
Revolution.  I wanted my first posts to this list to be "hey look at
this cool stuff", instead now I feel disgusted by this product and the
company which conned me into buying it, which in turn makes it much
harder to get my project updated and out the door.

Hopefully my awful experience and comments on this $200 beta
application will get it fixed for the benefit of all.

Revolted,
Bill Griffin
bill at igame3d.com
www.igame3d.com