How to make an Unclickable Check Box

Dan Shafer dan at shafermedia.com
Wed Jul 23 00:12:03 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 06:41 AM, Jan Schenkel suggested to
Sannyasin:

> Turn off the autoHilite of the checkbox, and leave the
> script of the checkbox empty. Now it won't be hilited
> unless you set its hilite from a script.

Pardon the intrusion, but it may be worth noting that an unclickable
checkbox is a violation of Apple's Human Interface Guidelines and of
general UI design rules about user expectations. I'd respectfully
suggest some other way of indicating the user's connected state than a
checkbox he can't click on or change. I guarantee you'll have
frustrated and confused users.

A text label whose contents changes from CONNECTED to NOT CONNECTED
would be as easy to design and code and be much more meaningful in the
bargain.

Just MHO.