Rev 2.02/New pricing

Duane Poncy tsalagi at rainynightspress.com
Mon Jul 21 20:28:03 EDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:55:23 -0400, Wilhelm Sanke <sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de>:

This is another late response to the new pricing scheme. As a user of the "Free Edition" I realize I don't have much standing to complain about the new pricing, but it does bring up a couple of questions for me.

I am more than a hobbyist, but I am not a professional programmer. I have been working on a Cherokee dictionary for some months now. The hundred plus hours I have put into this dictionary is gratis. I am very low income, and and have not been able to afford the SBE. I expect to have this project ready for use in a few months, and will distribute if for free, because it is important to me to help save my tribe's language.

For this software to continue to be useful, I need cross-platform capability. Most education people and many writers, like me, use MacIntosh, but the majority of people who will use this dictionary are PC users. I have been thinking that if it went well, I could maybe scrape together enough to buy the SBE. With the new pricing there is no way I can afford to buy into cross-platform capability.

I would like to continue to build Cherokee lanquage learning tools, but I guess I will have to find some other tool than Revolution. Or I will have to continue to use Revolution 2.0 free edition.

I don't know if there are others out there like me, and I know a company can't make decisions based on just a few users, but, nevertheless, I am truly disappointed.

Duane Poncy

visit Elohi Gadugi: poetry, software,
Cherokee culture and Native American rights.
http://dsaoregon.igc.org/tsalagi/