Image recognition tool

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Jul 20 15:26:03 EDT 2003

oops.. I didn't have that posted quite like i was doing it... here
Vikram's solution with your  suggested parenthetical function notation:

on mouseup
   answer file "choose the first image"
   put url ("binfile:" & it) into tFirstImage
   answer file "choose the second image"
   put url ("binfile:" & it) into tSecondmage
   put  md5Digest(tFirstImage) into tCheckDigestImg1
   put md5Digest(tSecondImage) into  tCheckDigestImg2
   if tCheckDigestImg1 = tCheckDigestImg2 then answer "Match!"
end mouseup

this still doesn't work... both cases fail:

a) case where the two images were separately processed to the exact
same specs from a hi-res source (used same ImageReady droplet to make a
thumbnail) and
b) case where I did a finder copy of image the first image (OSX) such
that the second image should indeed be the exact same binary data of
its source.

The md5digest of a binary data file doesn't appear to work. So far,
seems the images have to be loaded to the card first, then check the
image data and this does work for both a) and b) above....which is very
doable for each loop process on a G4 dual processor work station (not
my powerbook) and come back later.. (dups would be tagged or move to to
another directory by script) to check -- (real world example: -- 20
incoming images against an already existing archive of 500 plus images.
  We also can't to a preliminary triage with file names (which would be
lightening fast) as

DSCN0002.JPG  ## hi res source
DSCN0002-01.jpg ## first thumbnail output with droplet
DSCN0002-02.jpg  ## second thumbnail output with same droplet
DSCN0002-02 copy.jpg ## finder copy of above file.

are all the same image, but a month later a file by the same name

DSCN0002.JPG  might come in from a different camera and be a completely
different image.

So, we have a solution, but its not very "run time" like you see on the
TV shows where some intelligence agency is scanning a photo against a
data base of photos for a match..  all in the blink of an eye -- can
you  believe that stuff... ;-)

but anything has got to be better than (very tedious and unproductive
routine:) dragging all the images into an iView catalog and, by eye,
trying to spot dups...then sending those to the trash.

--Sivakatirswami