building a font picker

Howard Bornstein bornstein at designeq.com
Sat Jul 19 13:04:04 EDT 2003

>But my reason for using entire alphabet instead of I and Z is that I
>think it could be possible for some font to have an I and Z have a
>difference in width that is less than the resolution of "the
>formattedWidth". I can't visualize what the font would be, but it's
>certainly possible. That's why I would make it more reliable by
>comparing multiple letters. Thoughts?

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention this other part. In the fields I set up to
test, I make the fontsize something like 18 points (or larger). This
should insure that the difference between "i" and "M" (I think you're
right about "M") are clearly differentiated. I had set of some tests that
gave me the actual formattedwidth of each character at different sizes,
and at the larger sizes, they were always clearly different.

Howard Bornstein