Rev 2.02/New pricing

Mark Talluto revlists at canelasoftware.com
Fri Jul 18 13:25:01 EDT 2003

My problem with crediting a particular authoring tool/language is that
it gives your clients the feeling that they are relying on two
companies instead of the one they contracted to do a job.  If you are
doing contract work, closing credits to another company will ruin a job
opportunity.  The solution is that those people who are developing
projects for pay should be able to afford the enterprise solution.
This credit problem does not exist with the enterprise solution.

The software business offers many advantages to other forms of
business.  We can have a store front (web site) for a lot less than
conventional stores.  We can work at home and not have the expense of a
leased building.  We can work on older computers till we can buy
better.  We can buy a totally cross-platform development tool that
allows a single person to compete against a team of 5 proficient C or
Java programmers.  We can do a lot for a start-up, with minimal capital.

Those who are just trying to break into this business are going to get
the cheapest version of Rev they can afford.  If they ever expect to
get out of this vicious circle, they really need to buy the enterprise
solution.  They will have to bite the bullet and put their small
capital investment in that solution.  To me, it is the only solution
Rev offers (with its new structure).  To put it bluntly, if you plan on
making money, you *must* buy the enterprise solution.  Single platform
development will not cut it.  Buying two cheaper solutions is not a
complete solution.

The real question is:  What markets is RunRev targeting?  We have and
always have had a pro solution.  I think RunRev is really trying to
find its way with small businesses (if there is such a thing regarding
this type of product) and hobbyists.  My thinking is that if you plan
on making money, pay the extra few hundred and get enterprised.  If the
extra 500 bucks or whatever is going to stop you from starting your
business, you are already dead in the water.  The price of the
enterprise version is so cheap for what you get.  Other businesses
normally require you to invests tens if not hundreds of thousands to
get started.  The only other business that would be cheaper to begin
with is a lemonade stand.

At this point, I only see two clear markets.  People making money at
developing and people doing it for every other reason.  I think rev
should toss out the Studio version and meet the two markets that are
easily identifiable.

Market #1
Self employed:  buy enterprise
Working day to day for a company that uses your development skills:
Company buys enterprise for you to use
Software start-ups: buy enterprise

Market #2
Individual contemplating software development: get demo or buy express
version.  They know the limitations and will live by them.  When they
are sure they want to do this, they buy enterprise solution.
Individual programming for fun or home use:  buy express solution.
Closing screen will not kill them for the price they paid.

If you disagree or think I have missed a market, I would love to hear
about it.

Best regards,
Mark Talluto
http://www.canelasoftware.com