Rev 2.02/New pricing

Vikram Singh vikramsingh at mailandnews.com
Fri Jul 18 07:40:00 EDT 2003

What is rev's target market? If Rev is smart, the should be also targeting the
open-source types (the really swift ones causing Corporations to lose their
sleep). I'll bet my friends in this arena will puke (okay going too far... but
you get the idea) if told that apps built by them shall be carrying a colorful
parting screen. They want to keep the *Corporation* far far away from their
end users. Its just the way their minds are hardwired, maybe.

Okay look another way, if you want to target web developers, when was the last
time even MS told them to put 'This Active Server Page created on blah blah..
Copyright MS' line in their code. It doesnt happen this way in the web
services world. There are just useful pages generated by different programs.
And optional credits given by smitten developers to the application powering
the service.

In the coming 6 months, I'd rather see a few articles on Rev in a few top
notch websites/magazines that will get new users downloading Rev (along with
free professional grade applications on that site) than 10,000 apps carrying
colorful logos (and thereby *hoping* to get new users for rev). How many of us
remember the last popup ad we ever took seriously. As far as an end user is
concerned a popup ad = a parting screen.

Vikram

>===== Original Message From Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> =====
>Geoff Canyon wrote:

<snip>

>In short, carefully managed publicity pays bigger dividends in markets full
>of smart people than "publicity at any cost" strategies.

<snip>