Rev 2.02/New pricing

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jul 18 05:28:01 EDT 2003

Geoff Canyon wrote:

> On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 11:31  PM, David Vaughan wrote:
>
>> Like any tool, Rev will have a population of bad programmers. They
>> will not be buying Enterprise and are unlikely to buy Studio. Whatever
>> the excellence of many Express buyers testing the RR waters, it
>> remains a fact that RR's proud splash will also sit on many of the
>> worst programs made with Rev; programs badly written and unsupported;
>> the author is not earning their living from them. This is just plain
>> bad publicity and you do not need it.
>
> Revolution needs publicity. Any publicity. Okay, not publicity about
> the fact that Kevin actually does most of his programming in Java ;-)
> But there's a reason they say any publicity is good as long as they
> spell your name right.

Cultural beliefs and axioms should not be confused with logic.

What may work for the general public does not necessarily hold true for the
specialized subset of folks in our gene pool interested in programming.

One of the traits of the programmer personality type is that they are
generally of higher average intelligence than the gene pool as a whole, and
accordingly tend to be pursuaded more by reason and less by emotional or
popularity factors than the average bear.

An unusually discriminating audience, programmers are an exception to Geoff
Moore's observations about customer personality types across different
stages of technology adoption.

One could argue, and I'll wager that Moore would agree, that the distinction
in marketing programming tools is that the personality types driving the
"pre-chasm" phase he describes in 'Crossing the Chasm' are numbered in
greater proportion and extend far longer into the life cycle than one finds
with general consumer products.

In short, carefully managed publicity pays bigger dividends in markets full
of smart people than "publicity at any cost" strategies.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation