Rev 2.02/New pricing

Phil Jimmieson P.Jimmieson at csc.liv.ac.uk
Fri Jul 18 04:03:02 EDT 2003

>On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 05:31  PM, Edwin Gore wrote:
>
>>I don't think that they can honestly say that the studio product
>>allows you to create applications for all supported platforms,
>>since it's impossible to TEST the applications without using
>>another one of the products.
>
>You have a point, but: show of hands -- who here has built an app
>for another platform without ever testing on that platform and had
>it just work?

I've had minor cosmetic issues show up (dodgy fonts, windows drawn
with a default background colour other than I expected) but I was
able to fix these on the Mac - no windows IDE required.

>And who has had the exact opposite experience; serious
>platform-specific issues that required working on that platform to
>fix?

I found that there was a problem with pathnames to quicktime files
that only appeared under windows (it was in version 1.1.1 and I can't
remember the details now). But suffice it to say that if I hadn't
been able to debug the software under windows, it would have been
*very* much harder to figure out what the problem was and code around
it.

>You can build for OS X on other platforms, just not for OS <=9.
>Obviously this issue is getting smaller as time passes.

But there are still a lot of people using OS9. Would you really want
to unnecessarily cut them off from your potential audience? If you
have to pay $800 more to be able to debug the software on OS9 when
you're working on OSX then I imagine a lot of people just won't
bother, so you won't get an OS9 version of the software. Personally
I'd hate the loss of the ability to debug on any platform.

--
Phil Jimmieson  phil at csc.liv.ac.uk  (UK) 0151 794 3689  (Mobile) 07976 983164
Computer Science Dept., Liverpool University, Chadwick Building, Peach Street