conditions of use

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Wed Jul 16 08:56:01 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 02:08  AM, DVGlasgow at aol.com wrote:

> Listers,
>
> Does anyone know anything about legal disclaimers and conditions of
> use of
> software?  Most of the things we see are written in American legalese
> and make
> no sense to anyone, I suspect not even the lawyers who draft them.
>
> Is there any *plain English* guidance for British software developers
> who
> want to make explicit the conditions of use and limit liability?

Just write what you are thinking the license should be, in plain
English :-)

I think the main points you should cover are

- you claim ownership and copyright over the source code and/or software
- you grant a limited license to the user for particular uses and
purposes
- the user indemnifies you from damages and legal complaints
- the user accepts the license by acknowledging the license text and
using the software

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com