Creating a DSN for ODBC access

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Tue Jul 15 13:56:00 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 12:26  PM, Mark Powell wrote:
>  I am not understanding the advantages of having to do this and am
> confounded by the interface of the Data Sources control panel that the
> docs
> point to.

AFAIK you can't address ODBC databases by a path. You have to use The
DSN.

I don't use Access, or Runrev with ODBC, but I have used ODBC on
windows 2000 in the past, with a mysql database. I guess DSN stands for
"Data Source Name". The idea is you use the control panel to define
settings about your database connection (driver, hostname, username,
password, database specific settings, etc). That NAME is then used by
ODBC clients to connect to the data source. It's a good concept and it
works.

>   (BTW, I am a RunRev newbie, but with years of HyperCard
> development in the early 90s--this product is my dream come true).

Welcome to the list!

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com