Can I draw a line (or better any polygon) directly on screen?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jul 9 13:06:00 EDT 2003

Dar Scott wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 02:30 AM, Joël Guillod wrote:
>
>> Is there a easy way to draw any line on screen?
>
> Maybe you can draw a line in separate stack and use windowShape.
>
> Alternatives to the line might be color matching, flashing, a tiny
> window that runs back and forth between the two, and putting the two
> windows as groups on the same large stack.

As long as an externals-based solution like the one you've been using is
undesirable, maybe another option is to rethink the design.

With the interleaved window layering in OS X now making the Mac platform
behave like all others in this regard, it opens up window management
questions that affect all multi-window application designs.

One common solution is to migrate multi-window designs to multiple panes
(groups) within a single window.  This works well for Outlook, iMovie, and
many others.

While this level of deep rethinking is indeed non-trivial, I suspect as
application designers become more intimately familiar with the ramifications
of multi-window UIs in an interleaving OS we'll see more, and eventually
most, moving in this direction.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation