Some basic questions about fld tables

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 11:16:01 EDT 2003

Thanks to Francois Cuneo and his questions, and to the clever people
who answered them, and even  (in the case of HyperChris at aol.com) went
a lot further. But compared with other aspects of RunRev, I must say
that it seems a miserable way to have to learn about what appears to
be a major new feature of the system. The fact is that there just
isn't enough documentation to make it possible to use tables in a
normal way (which IMHO is(by reading round the subject, doing a bit
of experimenting etc, but not looking 'under the hood' in the IDE,
exploring undocumented properties etc), and also there would appear
to be some features of the implementation (especially the very
limited way tables create events and respond to messages) which stop
them being as useful as I for one might have hoped. Struggling on,
however, AFAICS the following has not been covered even in
HyperChris's work: how does the 'format... using' system work? For a
start how does the nomenclature work - in the tableFun stack, we get
a reference to some 'part of the field (i.e. some cells of the table)
being formatted using 'decimal. The ref says

1,1:3,17	   Decimal:1

What does this actually mean? Assuming this is a kind of address list
for cells which will be formatted as Decimal, what happens when I put
a non-decimal value into one of these cells - AFAICS, nothing. What
then does the 'format... using' do? Can't find anything relevant in
the TD.

Sorry to be grumpy, but I think I'm still going to keep off tables
until I feel that they're more properly integrated into RunRev. End
of rant.

Graham