Restricting access - Two questions

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sun Jan 26 16:30:01 EST 2003

> Question #1: Is it possible to restrict the user to a certain folder
> or, alternatively, restrict certain folders from being read from or
> written to? What comes to mind is examining the returned path for the
> presence of a "banned" folder or volume name and then chide the user in
> an appropriate manner.

You can set the initial folder that comes up with the open folder dialog,
but you can't restrict a user from navigating away to a "banned" folder. You
*can* inform them if they pick the wrong folder and have them try again. The
alternative is to build a folder browser using native Rev elements (I've
done that in MC before they added "answer folder", so I know it's possible),
and then you can do anything you like.

> Question #2: Is it possible, through Rev, to quit the Finder and the
> Dock? (OSX only, of course) If so, how?

You can quit the finder by sending this appleScript:

tell application "Finder"
  quit
end tell

The dock on the other hand, you'll have to go to a third party. Go to
www.macupdate.com and do a search for "dock"; you'll find a bunch of apps,
most freeware, that will manipulate the dock.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/