Passing Lists II

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sun Jan 19 12:39:01 EST 2003

Hi All,

Put these handlers in a button, enter a time in dateItems (eg:
2003,1,19,9,26,0,0) and see what you get.

on mouseUp
   ask "Enter the time in a format that converts to dateItems."
   if it is empty then exit mouseUp
   put it into theTime
   answer "The time is"&&theTime
   send "setTime"&&theTime to me in 20 milliseconds
end mouseUp

on setTime theTime
   answer "setTime time is"&&theTime
end setTime

When I run this in v1.5A7, mouseUp says theTime is
2003,1,19,9,26,0,0; but setTime says theTime is 2003.  I worked
around the problem by converting theTime to seconds before passing
it...but (a) I shouldn't have to, and (b) I am concerned about the
broader implications of sending any list that is input via an ask
dialog (or in general?).

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company
http://www.oenolog.com/who.htm