encryption and free up memory on closing

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Tue Jan 14 10:08:02 EST 2003

On Dienstag, Jan 14, 2003, at 12:29 Europe/Zurich, DVGlasgow at aol.com
wrote:

> I was thinking I could set the password of the data stack, so
> encryptng it and
> preventing casual browsing and poking around using a text editor.
> Howevere,
> i don't want my users to have to use a password. Can i just set and
> unset the
> password in a script as my standalone accesses and closes the data
> stack?  Or
> do I need to set a password and subsequently use the passkey?  How do
> I do
> this in a script?  The docs seem to assume that if you want to encrypt
> stack, you also want the user to enter a password, so there are no
> scripted
> examples given.

Alternatively you could just set the password in the Distribution
Builder, this will make your stack encrypted, but you won't have to
worry about un-encrypting it, because the engine will do that
automatically when you open it. But I'm not sure what happens when you
open a such encrypted stack with the Development Environment .

> 2  I have set the data stack to free memory on closing.  Am i right to
> assume
> that this doesn't do anything in the development environment?  After
> closing
> I can still see the stack in the App overview and access it via same.
> It
> only goes if I 'purge' using app overview or menu.

this is similar to what I experienced.