another crash variation

BSpurgeon at iht.com BSpurgeon at iht.com
Fri Jan 10 16:39:01 EST 2003

I think I may have managed to get the longest crash-free period so far on a
small, simple application I built with Revolution by tweaking it last
Monday or Tuesday to set the Appearance Manager to OS Emulated, as many
discussions here have suggested.  I run the application on OS 9.  But now,
Friday, a new variation on the crash phenomenon has brought about a crash
that happens both on the standalone application and on the stack if opened
under Revolution's programming environment.

Here it is:

If the user has text in a field selected and presses a button that says
"save this stack," then the stack crashes.  If no text is selected and the
user presses the same button, then the stack does not crash, but saves
itself.  Actually, to be truer to the script of the button, it says,

set cursor to busy
save this stack
go card one

That's it.  And the problem is that many users of this stack want to select
text, copy it and then go to card one.  It it is a bit too difficult to
solve the problem by telling users that whatever they do, don't press that
button if text is selected.

Any ideas on what might be causing this crash variation?  Incidentally, it
creates the usual backup stack with a tilda on it and the user has to go
through that business of taking the tilda off and throwing the other dead
stack away.

Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers,
Brad Spurgeon