Revolution 2.0 To Be Previewed At Macworld

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 8 14:34:01 EST 2003

--- miscdas at boxfrog.com wrote:
> Jan Schenkel writes:
>
> > --- miscdas at boxfrog.com wrote:
> >> Repeat after me:
> >> If it's not on my desk
> >> if it's not on the shelf,
> >> is it for real?
> >>  --Yeah, right.. so's an Elf!
> >>
> >> V-A-P-O-R  W-A-R-E
> >>
> >> Poof!
> >>
> >> miscdas
> >
> > Don't you ever have any projects that take more
> time
> > than anticipated to finish ?
>
> Yes, and for my boss (or client), all they see is
> "vapor."
>
> > Haved you never made any promises that you were
> really working hard on to keep, but unfortunately
> slipped up sometimes or had to postpone because more
> urgent things got in the way?
>
> Yes, but even when the boss (or client) is the
> originator of the "more
> urgent thing", he stills wants concrete results, not
> "vapor".
>
> > I'd be very much surprised.
> >
> > Jan Schenkel.
>

> Good intentions, promises, and resetting of
> priorities are still not
> concrete products, just vapor. So, thank you for
> your round-about support.
>
> miscdas

First of all, my apologies for hauling out the
flamethrower. I'm as eager as any of you to get my
little paws on the final version 2.0.
However, the term 'vaporware' points to malevolent
misleading of the market. And I don't think it's the
case here at all.

Perhaps in retrospect it would have been a better
choice to simply roll out version 1.5 in september
(the july-alpha was remarkably stable) and give
themselves time to prepare version 2.0 for, say, this
coming march.
But at times you get overexcited about something new ;
you make prototypes and you misjudge the time to
complete and stabilise these new features.

Slip-ups happen, and they're no fun for anyone: not
for us, as we depend on the engine and IDE for our own
projects ; nor for the people that use our products,
and may now be waiting for this or that extra feature.
And most definitely not for those people at RunRev who
not only find themselves behind schedule, but also
under continually rising stress from outside.

Plus, I prefer final versions to beta versions any
time I'm not in an experimenting mood. So I wish the
people at RunRev the very best and at the same time
urge them to bring forth a wonderful new version --
when it's ready.

Jan Schenkel.

=====