RTF vs HTML

Wolfgang M. Bereuter wmb at internettrainer.com
Tue Jan 7 17:00:01 EST 2003

On Montag, Jänner 6, 2003, at 04:48  Uhr, Ron wrote:

> I've been using the HTML prop to read/write text files and save
> formatted
> texts. Now, with 2.0 ability to handle RTF text I want to asking about
> the
> plus/minuses of using RTF over HTML. My purpose is to save formatted
> text to
> regular text files that can be read by other apps (be it a browser or
> text
> editor), as well as my own rev app.
>
> Which would you go with?
Hello Ron,
try exchange documents with regular (Win) Users. Dont look at this
list; here are professionals and power-user. But the next language
secretary, office worker, translator, etc are not power-user. Thats not
their job. Most of them  believe PC=WIN=Office=Win=PC. So they usually
have no idea about handling html. But usually they can save/open a
word-document as an rtf-file.
If you do sharing documents if you are working on one document like for
translation or for any textoriented and multimedia production with
different tools, you will see very fast the difference about handling
rtf and html. In this case a "strong" standard is very important. Html
is *not* that standard. Rtf is it much more. If you do exchange/sharing
documents on html (ex/importing) you will be surprised what kind of
document you will get finally. And how much work and money it costs to
repair it at least this exhchanges. More exactly: I was surprised what
I got... Thats why I think that rtf support is so important in rev.
Therefore i struggled a lot for it. And now we got it in 2.0: HEUREKA!

Pls have a look at the rev archive, there is a thread about html rtf
text formating with rev.
(f.e. Rev supports html 2.0. It does not support 4.0 or CSS...)
But the rtf-format is supported from nearly any 20$ shareware wich is
able to handele text...

hope that helps

regards
Wolfgang M. Bereuter

Learn easy with trainingsmaps©

INTERNETTRAINER Wolfgang M. Bereuter
Edelhofg. 17/11, A-1180 Wien, Austria
http://www.internettrainer.com, wmb at internettrainer.com
Tel: ++43/1/ 961 0418, Fax: ++43/1/ 479 2539