Internationalisation II

Igor de Oliveira Couto info at pixelmedia.com.au
Mon Jan 6 19:55:01 EST 2003

Dear Rev Friends,

A very big thank you to all Revolutionaries who replied to my previous
posting, re: suggestions for approaches to internationalising apps.
Your information has been most useful, and has sent me back to the
drawing board!

I just had a quick look at Apple's Developer site, which has a special
section on 'localisation on MacOS X':

http://developer.apple.com/intl/localization.html

Apple suggests the use of a FREE Apple-made software package called
'AppleGlot' - currently in version 3. It supposedly translates all
string text in a certain application from one language to another,
using provided glossaries.

Of special interest to all developers, is the fact that these
glossaries seem to be in PLAIN TEXT FORMAT - meaning that Apple is
providing us with FREE, standardised translations between English and
several other languages for most of the user interface items.

Just out of curiosity, I downloaded the glossaries for Spanish. In
total, there were 83 text files: a main one - with translations for
almost ALL of the Finder's interface elements, dialogue boxes and
warning messages - and many other files which seem to contain
translations for strings related to specific programs/system
preferences which are bundled with MacOS X, such as the 'Color Picker'
or 'System Profiler'.

Apple provides freely downloadable glossaries for the following
languages: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Finnish,
Norwegian, Swedish, Korean, Japanese, as well as both Simplified and
Traditional Chinese.

AppleGlot 3 apparently helps translate not only Cocoa applications, but
also Carbon ones. How it goes about doing that, I do not quite
understand. I think it translates the .nib files in the Resources
folder of Cocoa applications, and (my guess only) text/string resources
in Carbon apps - I doubt it would look into the data fork... I do,
therefore, have a couple of new questions:

1) Are the apps compiled by Revolution 2.0 Carbon or Cocoa?

And most importantly:

2) Has anyone tried using AppleGlot to 'translate' a Revolution-made
app? If so, what were the results? Was it a useful tool?

Once again, many thanks, and

Kind Regards,

--
Igor de Oliveira Couto