groups and background

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Jan 6 16:12:01 EST 2003

On Monday, January 6, 2003, at 01:31 PM, erik hansen wrote:

> so there IS a RunRev specific reason to use the the "background"
> concept.

I think the double "the" typo is significant.  I think we run into
trouble in thinking of "the" background concept.  There seems to be
two, even though both seem to have a basis in history.  There is
background in the sense of backgroundBehaviour and background in the
sense of thinking of groups belonging to the stack.  The
backgroundbehaviour path modification, automatic placement and
backgroundNames() are related to the first concept.  The rest of the
uses of the word "background" seem to be related to the second, though
there may be a few for the first concept that I missed.

  Dar Scott