newbies: beware script locals

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Feb 27 16:13:17 EST 2003

On Friday, Feb 28, 2003, at 04:01 Australia/Sydney, Ben Rubinstein
<benr_mc at cogapp.com> wrote:

> on 2/27/03 10:44 AM, David Vaughan wrote
>> ...and worth also looking at the explicitVariables property in the TD.
>
> Which should be an excellent idea, but in my experience it is almost
> impossible to develop with explicitVariables on in Revolution.  I hope
> that once 2.0 is released, the RunRev team will consider a consolidation
> period to included making their development environment compatible with
> this.
>
> (If David or anyone else has found a way round this problem, I'd love
> to hear more.)

As I understand it, the only way is for someone to go through the code and
declare all the locals.  It's a tedious job, but not too difficult, and
hopefully they've done this for the v2.0 IDE, or at least plan to.

I use explicitVars very rarely, but when I do I find it very useful and
since everything running needs to be compliant I'm writing more and more of
my tools with explicitVars on to make sure they don't trip anyone up.

If you find anything of mine in RevNet or elsewhere that breaks under
explicitVars please drop me a note and I'll update it if I haven't already.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation