variables and objects

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 24 14:01:04 EST 2003

--- "Ivers, Doug E" <Doug_Ivers at lord.com> wrote:
> Seems that all user-created variables are character
> strings.  Is target also a character string, or is
> it something more sophisticated (like a pointer in
> C)?  Same question for this card, recent card, this
> stack, etc.
>
> Are these statements the same in the way they work
> "behind the scenes"?
>      answer the id of this card
>      get the long name of this card; answer the id
> of it
>

> -- D

Hi Doug,

All variables are indeed character strings ; including
'the target' ; however, the engine recognises certain
keywords and can grab the data without having to parse
the content of the variable first ; so in your
example, "the id of this card" will work faster than
"the id of it" because the engine grabs it directly.

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

=====