several printing questions

Kevin Miller kevin at runrev.com
Thu Feb 20 14:38:01 EST 2003

On 19/2/03 10:28 pm, Alex Rice <alrice at arcplanning.com> wrote:

> Thanks for bearing with me. There are a lot of questions here.
>
> Mac OS X 10.2.4
> Windows 2000
> Samsung ML-1250 laser printer
>
> 1) I print a bunch of cards using code like this
> --
> lock screen
> open printing
> print card x
> close printing
> --
> If I lock screen as above, on Windows or on Mac, the icons on my
> buttons don't print. Or worse, sometimes there are blank regions. If I
> don't lock screen, on Windows, then print card x also causes the UI to
> *flash each card* as it's being printed, and the button graphics look
> fine. But it's better than missing regions in the print job. What is
> the workaround?

On the Mac too?  What version of Rev?  Can you send me a stack off-list.
We're trying to get a handle on all the outstanding issues at the moment
(its not proving much fun!).

> 2) What are the least volatile fonts for Rev on Windows?

Fonts that are on the printer.  Arial is usually OK.

> Meaning- I
> want the closest correspondence between the on-screen display and the
> printed output. I've discovered that "ms sans serif" apparently doesn't
> exist on my printer, and "Helvetica" is rendered HUGE when printed.
> Like an extra 5 em-spaces per line. (formatForPrinting is not really an
> acceptable option because all of my cards are editable and they are
> laid out with formatForPrinting off, with editing in mind)

You probably do want to use this option and make the screen match it if
necessary.

> 3) However, I've also been experimenting with formatForPrinting and
> seeing no discernible difference by using formatForPrinting.

It only takes effect after closing (remove from memory) and reopening the
stack.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller <kevin at runrev.com> <http://www.runrev.com/>
Runtime Revolution Limited: Software at the Speed of Thought
Tel: +44 (0) 870 747 1165.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.