Configuration Management of built apps

Ray Bennett smilingeyes at mac.com
Mon Feb 10 23:22:00 EST 2003

My thoughts were, I guess, somewhere in the middle.

Sarah's suggestion of just keeping track of the configs in the
Distribution Builder covers the major chunk of the code, and I hadn't
thought of using the config settings as a sort of cm tool, but that
makes sense.     But (and it may be that I just am not thinking right
about how the Dist Bldr works) several of my stacks don't need to be
"built" (template stacks and stacks which retain preference settings,
for instance, but contain very little 'code').   So, slightly along the
lines of the arcane sccs, I need a clean way to ensure that I've
checked the latest versions of the templates into the "build" that I'm
creating.

I wasn't really looking for the full monte (pun intended) of something
like Visual Age, but if that existed, would clearly warrant a try.   I
guess, then, Monte, my high-level objective statements might look
(quickly) like this:

1st Objective:  tracking file/stack/substack revision
date/time/changedby/changenotes easily. (oh, and size)

2nd Objective:  clean, easy-to-navigate object encyclopedia which shows
created on/last modified/exists in or usedby/changenotes/changedby (and
size)

3rd Objective:  build tracker, showing builds of projects by target
platform (really what I'd like right now).  I'm not spun-in enough to
do either of the first two,  but may end up taking a crack at the 3rd
before too much longer if nothing pops up.

Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers,
Ray