Why is my app slow?

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 06:25:00 EST 2003

I've just started using the Distribution Builder in 1.1.1. I've got a
fairly simple app with no particular speed problems on my G3/400 Mac,
but when I make it into a separate app, I find that although the
MacOS 9 and MacOS X (Jaguar) versions work well, the PC version
appears incredibly slow (admittedly on a slowing PC - a P133 running
Windows 95 - or on Virtual PC on my Mac which is normally acceptable
if not wonderfully speedy). The slow bits seem to include the startup
sequence which opens stacks etc, where the cursor disappears for
several seconds before stabilising - this is perhaps understandable -
but worse than this, some (but not all) drags go so slowly that I
thought the machine had crashed. The whole script being actioned
during the drag (of a small image object) is

   on mouseDown
    grab me
   end mouseDown

so it doesn't appear at first sight that I can influence the situation.

Can anyone comment on this and maybe suggest a cure (OK, a faster PC
would be nice, but schools can't always afford them).

TIA

Graham