[OT] - Mac OS X Unix book

Derek Huby derek.huby at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 1 05:30:04 EST 2003

As a Revolution user on OS X - but with no knowledge of Unix - I've often
been intrigued (perplexed?) by some of the very knowledgeable contributions
to this list that relate to strange Unix things like CGI, faceless
applications and so on. It's become disturbingly clear that here's another
world lurking deep in the innards of this machine - and it's a world where
the normal rules don't apply, and where a strange language is spoken :-)

Also, in some obscure way, Revolution can do some useful stuff in this
world...

So, I bought a book. I've just received 'Unix for Mac OS X', a 'Visual
Quickpro Guide' by Matisse Enzer, published by Peachpit press. The contents
look hopeful, and I'm quite optimistic that in 520 pages time I might
actually understand some of the things that the Unix experts are writing
about. Any other Unix-naïve (or is that Unix-innocent ?) OS X users of
Revolution might consider giving it a look. (I own no shares in the
publishers!)

Have a good weekend,

Derek