Scrolling thumbnail gallery

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Mon Dec 22 16:28:35 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm trying out Revolution, to see how it stacks up against RealBasic,
and I'm having trouble understanding whether it's possible to create a
scrolling thumbnail gallery.

I'd like to select a folder, read all the jpegs into images (creating
thumbnails along the way), and place them in a group so they're all
scrollable (4 across, by n down).

Secondly, I'd like to be able to create an alternate thumbnail view,
one which scrolls vertically, where each image has two editable fields
(title and description) to the right of it.

As the number of images is indeterminate, I need to be able to create,
and place, dozens or even hundreds of images and edit fields in a group
on the fly.  I've looked at all the example stacks I could find, but
none seem to be about creating or manipulating groups.

Finally, I'd then like to be able to use drag and drop so the user can
reorder the images.  I've tried doing drag and drop with an image
that's in a group, as I'd like the user to be able to drop an image
between two other images in order to place the image.  Unfortunately
the drop event doesn't get triggered in the group script when the drop
happens in the space between two images, only when you drop on a group
image.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
-- Frank Leahy