Problems with XP & custom properties, and printing

DVGlasgow at aol.com DVGlasgow at aol.com
Fri Dec 19 03:10:35 EST 2003

Hello folks,

 Its a very long time since my last post. (Forgive me Father....?)

The reason is that I have discovered that writing software is

not the hardest bit...the real headache is installation and support.

OK,  OK, so that is common knowledge, but it has come as a bit of
a shock to me, I can tell you.

I have customers who have problems running under XP,

and I have just managed to replicate at least the main problem.  The odd

thing is that I wouldn't have thought there were any OS

issues in what I am doing.  The situation is this:

I have an encrypted 'users' stack that contains the name of

authorised users stored in a custom property 'cusers'. This

is stored in a folder within the same folder as the

standalone. When my standalone launches, a preopenstack

handler opens the users stack (invisible) and puts cusers

into gusers, a global.

  set the loc of this stack to the screenloc
  set the dontUseQt to true
  go  invisible stack "users/users.rev"
  put the cusers of field listem into gusers
  end preopenstack

In the openstack handler, gusers is put into an authorised
users pop-up.  If the authorised users

popup is empty, the buttons on the main screen are disabled.

If there are users present, the buttons are enabled.

    if gusers is not empty
    then
      put "Licensed user?" & return & gusers into button "licensed user?" of
this stack
      set the label of button "licensed user?" to the short name of button
"licensed user?"
    else
      put "Licensed user?" into button "licensed user?" of this stack
    end if

This works under OS9, Win 95 and 2000 (which I have easy

access to), but not XP (which I don't).  Under XP the

standalone launches, but no user names are put into the pop

up, so the navigation buttons remain disabled.

Under XP Home, numbers appear instead of the names as described in
this report from a customer:

Snip
Just a quick note to let you know that in Windows XP Home edition, I get a

choice of 1,2,3,4 as users rather than my name.  I am able to conduct an

assessment; however, I am also unable to print the results (printer is a

Canon).  At my machine at the SAFE-T Program, we have Windows NT, and

although my name comes up as the authorized user, we are also unable to

print any of the results (HP).  I have tried it on my laptop (Windows ME)

and my name appears as the authorized user; however, still unable to print

(Canon).
Snip

Now the 1 2 3 4 bit suggests that XP home deals with this in a different way
to XP.
*Something* is obtained from the custom properties, but not the custom pro-
perties themselves.

Debugging this will mean borrowing machines and installing Rev on them,

so I thought it was worth a post in case the gurus know what

is going on.

I am also disheartened by the printing problems - any advice on getting
to the bottom of these? Printing seems to be fine on the combination of OS
and printers I have tested (admittedly limited, but covering main options).

Best wishes,

David Glasgow

Forensic Clinical Psychology Services & Software  <A
HREF="http://members.aol.com/dvglasgow/i-psych/i_Psych.htm">i-Psych</A>