Apple script problems

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Mon Dec 15 14:02:10 EST 2003

>Message: 1
>Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:16:49 -0600
>From: "Ken Ray" <kray at sonsothunder.com>
>Subject: RE: Apple script problems
>To: "'How to use Revolution'" <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>

>>  {{"4535", "Gossett", "Joshua", "Boreham", "12975", "", "", ""},
>>  {"109769", "Hochwald ", "Joshua ", "American Hill ", "15822",
>>  "sAddress sLast", "", "Voter"}}
>>
>>  (These are just two records in this voter database.)
>>
>>  Now I can get rid of the quotes and the curly brackets (by putting
>>  the results into a variable and using the "replace" command), but I
>>  don't understand their origin. They are not present in the original;
>>  the fields are all just simple text. The quotes are not so surprising
>  > as the curly brackets.
>
>Both of these are provided courtesy of AppleScript; what it returns from
>the request to get the records is an AppleScript "list", which is
>quoted, comma-delimited, and surrounded in braces. If you don't want
>them, you could manipulate them on the AppleScript side before getting
>"the result" in Rev, or you can do as you are doing and post-process
>them in Rev.
>
>So, in AppleScript, to get the name "Joshua" from the two records you
>retieved, you could do it this way:
>
>   get every record
>   get item 3 of item 1 of result
>   -- now result contains "Joshua" (including quotes)
>
>HTH,
>
>Ken Ray
>Sons of Thunder Software
>Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

Ken,

Thanks. It is always good to know the  reasons.

I suspect that Run Rev would be able to do the processing faster than
AppleScript. What do you think?

This  is a very large county  election database (16,000 records with
25 fields per record). So speed is of the essence.

Of course the fastest things is probably the old fashioned way. Save
the DB as a text file and import that into Run Rev. Trouble is, I
also have to reverse the process when I'm finished with it in RR.

Jim