Richard Gaskin, An AutoSave Plugin?

SimPLsol at aol.com SimPLsol at aol.com
Tue Dec 9 23:22:04 EST 2003

It is certainly debatable whether it is better to save on events
(HyperCard-like) or on intervals (via a timer), so I'll let that rest.
I do feel compelled to defend "corruption-prone" HyperCard a bit. We sell a
HyperCard-based business system which consists of 43 stacks. The most heavily
used is Orders/Quotes. On any business day there are over 1,000 people writing
orders with it. In a typical year (and we've been at it for 16 years) we had 6
corruptions worldwide (not bad considering the level of activity, the working
environments, the flexibility of the system, and the lack of any formal IT
departments at most customers' businesses). After discovering and avoiding the
HyperCard problem with null sets that caused 5454 errors, the number of
corruptions annually has fallen to 3. I will be extremely pleased if Revolution does
as well.
Meanwhile I look forward to seeing you at the seminar and learning more about
plugins. Can one set the front script from a plugin?
Paul Looney