specialFolderPath - Where to store Preferences Crossplattform

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Tue Dec 2 12:09:21 EST 2003

On Dec 2, 2003, at 7:21 AM, Malte Brill wrote:

> I need a reliable path to a folder where I can write preferences to
> cross
> plattform. On the mac specialFolderPath ("preferences") works fine for
> both,
> 9 and flavours of X. But  what is the pendant on Win/*nix?

In Windows, it depends if it's one of the multiuser Windows like
Windows 2000, NT, XP. In those cases a good place to put it is in
Documents and Settings/Username/Application Data/YourApp/xxx. For
Windows 95,98,ME then I think you should store the prefs in the
application folder itself: Program Files/YourApp/prefs

On Unix, preferences are usually put in hidden files or folders in the
user's home directory. So $HOME/.yourAppPrefs or $HOME/.yourApp/prefs

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>