Formatted printing

Neville Smythe Neville.Smythe at anu.edu.au
Sun Aug 31 20:27:00 EDT 2003

I am trying to do something seemingly very simple and I would have
thought quite generic ... can I ask if I really am coming up against
what seem to me to be pretty obvious shortcomings in the present
implementations of table fields and the printing library?

(as a new user, I've had a bit of a look on the archives, and the
thread on revPrintText is so long there clearly are many requests for
extension of its feature set, no doubt including the following...)

I want to be able to print the contents of a formatted field, with
column data, above which is a header which is longer than one cell of
the column data. The header itself uses styled text and I'd like it to
have columns too, tho' I can probably simulate that since its text
won't vary much. The data is constructed dynamically from other
information in the stack. The printout fills out a whole page, larger
than a card size, so print card won't suffice. I'd prefer not to have
vertical lines separating the columns of data, but I can live with that.

I could do this if any of the following things worked, each of which
should IMO be possible

1. I could do it all with revPrintField using a Table field, putting
the header stuff into the first few lines, IF I could suppress printing
of the vGrid lines, which overprint the header. Because vGrid is
overloaded (it flags that the field is a table AND draws the grid
lines), and borderFill is also overloaded (controls the field border
AND the grid lines BUT does not respond to width 0 for the grid lines!)
this won't work. Ideally of course the display style of each cell ought
to controllable as in a real spreadsheet, but I can wait for that (Rev
version 3?).

2. I could do it with revPrintField if only it supported a header
parameter a la revPrintText (why doesn't it?)

3. I could do it with revPrintText using html styling if only more
mark-up tags were supported (tabs)

4. I could do it if multiple revPrintField and revPrintText could be
used on a single page, ie they conformed to to an open printing/close
printing protocol.

Am I missing something?

The only work-around I can think of is to use monospaced type for the
column data. This is really ugly.

Neville Smythe
Neville.Smythe at anu.edu.au
Mathematical Sciences Institute                        Tel:
61-2-6125-2709
Australian National University                           Fax:
61-2-6125-4984
Canberra ACT 0200 AUSTRALIA                    Mob:       0414517719