Limit of chars in a field

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 31 00:30:01 EDT 2003

--- Anthony Kouvousis <anthonyk at fastq.com> wrote:
> I created a field named "myField", I then set the
> "dont't wrap" to tue, set the font to
> "courier new" and the fontSize to 12 and run the
> following handler:
>
> on mouseUp
>
>   put empty into fld "myField"
>   repeat 937
>     put "blah," after last word of line 1 of temp
>   end repeat
>   put temp into fld "myField"
>
> end mouseUp
>
> To my surprise when I repeat 936 times then the
> words "blah," appear on the field. When
> I increase the number to 937 times or more NOTHING
> appears inside the field!!!!
>
> My application calls for storing in one line the
> coordinates for a graphic to draw (like
> set the points of grc x to fld "myField"). I was
> under the impression that the chars
> limit of a fld was way above HCs 30000 limit. Here
> on a single line we have 937 X 5 =
> 4685 chars and the field can not display them!
>
> I know that this is related to the scroll but why?
> If I change the fontSize to a smaller
> fond then I can see the data in the field. Is there
> a limit to the hirozontal scroll?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Anthony Kouvoussis

Hi Anthony,

The problem isn't in the fact that there are 4685
characters in the field, the problem is that they're
all on a single line, and there's a maximum width in
terms of pixels that can be displayed -- the data is
still there, actually.

Unless the information _must_ be displayed on screen,
you might consider storing the data in custom
properties rather than a field.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====