Limit of chars in a field

Anthony Kouvousis anthonyk at fastq.com
Sun Aug 31 00:08:01 EDT 2003

I created a field named "myField", I then set the "dont't wrap" to tue, set the font to
"courier new" and the fontSize to 12 and run the following handler:

on mouseUp

  put empty into fld "myField"
  repeat 937
    put "blah," after last word of line 1 of temp
  end repeat
  put temp into fld "myField"

end mouseUp

To my surprise when I repeat 936 times then the words "blah," appear on the field. When
I increase the number to 937 times or more NOTHING appears inside the field!!!!

My application calls for storing in one line the coordinates for a graphic to draw (like
set the points of grc x to fld "myField"). I was under the impression that the chars
limit of a fld was way above HCs 30000 limit. Here on a single line we have 937 X 5 =
4685 chars and the field can not display them!

I know that this is related to the scroll but why? If I change the fontSize to a smaller
fond then I can see the data in the field. Is there a limit to the hirozontal scroll?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Anthony Kouvoussis