Little questions on Rev as a game plataform (related to: myst)

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Fri Aug 29 22:37:01 EDT 2003

Hi all,

well my cloning of myst like engine is almost over and I decided to
check up with the revGurus on the list if I am on the right track. I
cannot present a demo stack now, wait a couple days for my scenery is
ugly, I am now generating custom ones with terragen (a nice terrain
generator, free for non comercial use).

There's the main stack and it does nothing, it just show some nice
splash logo and prepare MLE (Myst Like Experience) stack to launch.
This MLE substack is the current interpreter. The main stack does have
two substacks RESOURCES and MLE, the resources substack is just a
collection of often used graphics and sound. The later is structured
like this:

In the stack's script there are implementations for default responses
to game actions. Like if a mouseUp climbs up the food chain, err,
message path, then it will be handled by this handle and return to
game, also on the stack script are some utility functions to handle
game behaviour. It's all done with custom properties. when mouseOver is
triggered it looks in it targets for a set of custom properties, for
example if there's a music property the interpreter will change the
music when mouseover is called, if there's a "lookat" property game
will execute script inside it when "look at" game tool is clicked on
that target. Game interaction is provided by clicking on the screen,
possible actions are: look, walk, take, use, talk. For each action
there's a related custom property on the targets. Theres a background
picture of the scene and "hotspots" are defined by shapes that cannot
be seen by user. Each scene is a card, when card loads (preOpenCard and
OpenCard) it setups music and other game low level stuff, after one
second after the card is loaded (so that user atention is now focused)
a message is sent (Thank You Mr Dar Scott for Message Primer) which
trigger animation builded with Animation Builder tool.

All game engine functions are inside substack's script, so the only
scripts inside a card are related to that card/scene in particular,
this proved to be very readable and easy to manage. Utility functions
are about music and movie playing. I plan to release this as a
contribution for others to improve upon. It's easy to create your own
game, just create a substack of MLE and go creating your cards.
Documentation will be written and a web page will be set as soon as I
am proud enought to allow my figment to roam free on the net.

I think it's all explained now, so I as the revGurus out there if they
have any advise or best practice to tell me. I am too newbie to rev, my
code is probably bad but I will allow everyone to shout at it later, I
am trying to get design and implementation advises by now ;-)

Cheers
Andre Garzia  2003
imac2 ibook p100 e uma torradeira....