local host does not see broadcast on OS X

Keith Martin keith at vortex.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 12:14:04 EDT 2003

Sometime around 29/8/03 (at 10:31 am -0600) Alex Rice said:

>On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 10:08  AM, Steve Gehlbach wrote:
>>Maybe it is routing, I don't know, but one other thing that you
>>might check that affects networks is kernel firewalling.  I think
>>on BSD it is "ipfw" and "ipfw show" will list any firewall
>>settings.  Something like that, anyway.  I don't know what Apple is
>>putting in by default these days, but many Linux systems, such as
>>Lindows, are putting up some pretty restrictive firewalls (iptables
>>in Linux).
>
>I read recently that default OS X installs have firewall turned off,
>but the network ports are sewn up tight and practically no open
>ports.

Which means that the firewall doesn't have to be on at the start. (In
a simplistic sense.) Reportedly, OS X has fewer ports open by default
than Windows. (Not trying to stir anyone up, just reporting what a
colleague has recently read. In too much of a rush to get home to
stop and read/write details! :-)