Newbie enquiry re using Revolution for Myst style games

Dan Shafer dan at shafermedia.com
Wed Aug 27 21:39:01 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 09:01 AM, Edwin Gore wrote:

> It's too bad that the market these days doesn't really seem to have
> any place for brilliant, imaginative, playful software like those
> original Cyan games.

I'm not so sure.

I spent some time last weekend watching my 13-year-old granddaughter
using the Web. Quite a few of the sites she visited have what I'd call
atmospheric games. They are more Web-aware, have multi-player options,
build in instant messaging and community aspects, and are *somewhat*
less graphically rich (living within the confines of the browser.)

I think a compelling atmospheric game a la Myst built in Revolution in
a way that was Web-aware and overcame the browser's limitations would
in fact make a potentially huge product. I have a friend who's building
a 3-D online adventure game using Adobe's Atmosphere technology so that
it runs over the Web. I don't know how much success he's had so far,
but I know he's working actively on it. He's checking out Rev right now
as a possible new way to handle the front end because the UI
surrounding the 3D stuff doesn't feel compelling in a browser.

Dan Shafer, Revolutionary
Author of forthcoming 3-book set,
"Revolution: Programming at the Speed of Thought"
http://www.revolutionpros.com for More Info