free, lightweight sql engine

revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Wed Aug 27 02:53:01 EDT 2003

It is possible to access SQLite from Rev in two ways:
1) via odbc (requires installing odbc drivers with your standalone)
2) via shelling out to a command line, running the SQLite SQL client & processing the result.

I believe that Pierre mentioned that someone (Andu?) on the Metacard list has been using SQLite successfully.

I've written to Tuviah to say that I don't think that the author of SQLite would get involved in providing drivers for a specific language.  Other people are providing drivers for major languages (Python, Perl, PHP, Smalltalk, Objective-C).  As the code for SQLite is publicly available, I've offered to look at generating the drivers for Rev.  Of course, it would be best of all if Runrev took a look at SQLite and provided and supported the drivers.

I would suggest that anyone who wants to start looking at SQLite uses the odbc drivers, and looks to the SQLite list for any specific help with SQLite (http://www.yahoogroups.com/subscribe/sqlite).

People might want to have a look at some speed comparisons between SQLite, MySQL and PostgreSQL - http://sambar.polie.nl/sqllite.htm

>Your welcome to have the author of the database contact me and I will send
>him the revdb headers...so he can compile a revdb driver. Should be fairly
>straightforward.

>>Not sure, but I don't think it's currently possible; someone would have
>>to write an external to use the SQLite client API or write a new
>>database driver for RR.

Regards Bernard