Newbie enquiry re using Revolution for Myst style games

Alex Rice alrice at arcplanning.com
Tue Aug 26 10:42:00 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 03:06  AM, peter9.smith at ps.ge.com wrote:

> I'd like to take digital pictures and movies of say my house then
> create a
> poor man's Myst style 'game' which I can send to friends.  Revolution
> seems
> like a good contender to do this in as it's reasonably priced and
> cross-platform.
>
> Any comments on how suitable Revolution is for creating something a
> step or
> two up from slideshows in DVD format?

Perfectly suitable- the cards and stacks concept that Rev uses is just
the ticket.

> How far does Revolution support Quicktime?  Say for things like
> transitions?

Good- a quicktime player object is embedded, and transitions can be
applied between cards and stacks- to any content, not just the player
object.

> How possible is it for a program to generate Revolution code as
> opposed to
> typing it in?

See the commands do, eval and value. Transcript is totally dynamic and
you can generate code on the fly.

I remember reading that somewhere Myst itself began it's life as a
hypercard stack.

Good luck!

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com