[OT] How to turn on echo or date/time UDP services on OS X?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Aug 22 18:59:23 EDT 2003

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 05:45 PM, Steve Gehlbach wrote:

> Anyone know a way around running a socket server as root (well, on
> Linux and I assume Mac OS X)?  Works fine on Windows as any user,
> which is why worms and viruses like it so much.

I am able to 'accept' UDP and TCP on OS X as any user.

I didn't realize Linux would have the constraint and am interested in
the answer to this.

(My problem is that I have a client/server acting up and I want to see
which one is the problem.  I want to have some non-Rev service to send
a UDP response to see if the client has trouble.)

Dar Scott