AW: Linux double click

claus at dreischer.de claus at dreischer.de
Fri Aug 22 05:40:00 EDT 2003

> Hello list,
> I have builded a Linux app (SUSE 8.1 distribution) with rev and thought

> that it will run on double click (of the main stack) like OSX and WIN
> does. But Suse does ask me with what App I would like to open this
> file...?
> Is that a problem of my Linux ignorance, a missing file extension or a
> rev build problem...?
> What i am missing ?
>
> Thanks for any tips...

Hi Wolfgang,

wild guess: set the execute permissions to that file.
The OS does not know, that your file is to be executed.

do a "chmod 755 XXX" in the console, with XXX is your filename.
This will make it readable and executable for anybody.

You cann tweek this permissions:
first  number is for the owner of the file, second is for the group he is
in, last number is for anybody.
The number itself is:
1 for execute
2 for write
4 for read permissions.

So the "755" in the example above means:
Owner (you :) can execute (1) + write (2) + read (4) = 7 that file
anybody can execute (1) + read (4) = 5 that file.

Regards,
 Claus.