Using strong language on the lists

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Wed Aug 20 15:31:00 EDT 2003

I am the "owner" of a Yahoo Group and part of our "welcome" message is
a warning about offensive language and personal attacks. That welcome
message was not suggested by Yahoo; I came up with it and enforce it by
tossing members who disregard the warning. Up to now I've only had one
individual I've had to ban. This is a list with over 500 members that
generates about 900 messages per month. Civil people understand the
advantages of available resources.

I don't think anyone on this list has a, shall we say, "delicate"
enough constitution to find a problem with "ticked off" or "damn" if
they're self-directed, as in: "Wow, am I ticked off about that damn
programming mistake I made yesterday..."

However, we can surely draw the line somewhere; and I think we all know
where that somewhere is without specificity.

I consider this list a most valuable resource which permits me to pick
the brains of those who have already been through the mistakes I make.
Accordingly, I try to treat everyone in the manner in which I hope to
be treated when the day comes that I can provide such help to other
novices.

Just in case I haven't mentioned it lately: Thank you to all who have
provided resolutions/workarounds to the problems I have encountered (or
caused myself) with Rev. Whatever its shortcomings, it's still the best
IDE extant.

Regards,
Barry